Sacred Scripture Anew
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sacred Scripture Anew

a bible study for Catholics and anyone who is interested

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Catholic Teachings in the Bible

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hasah

Catholic Teachings in the Bible Empty
PostSubject: Catholic Teachings in the Bible   Catholic Teachings in the Bible I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 am

Church, not churches
Matthew 16:18 DRB
(18) And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Ephesians 2:19-21 DRB
(19) Now therefore you are no more strangers and foreigners: but you are fellow citizens with the saints and the domestics of God,
(20) Built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone:
(21) In whom all the building, being framed together, groweth up into an holy temple in the Lord.

Our Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God
Genesis 3:15 Douay-Rheims Bible
(15) I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

Rev 12:1 Douay-Rheims Bible
(1) And a great sign appeared in heaven: A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.

Luk 1:41-43 Douay-Rheims Bible
(41) And it came to pass that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost.
(42) And she cried out with a loud voice and said: Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
(43) And whence is this to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

on Baptism
1 Peter 3:18-22 NAB
(18 ) For Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the sake of the unrighteous, that he might lead you to God. Put to death in the flesh, he was brought to life in the spirit.
(19) In it he also went to preach to the spirits in prison,
(20) who had once been disobedient while God patiently waited in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water.
(21) This prefigured baptism, which saves you now. It is not a removal of dirt from the body but an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
(22) who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to him.

Matthew 28:18-20 DRB
(18) And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth.
(19) Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.
(20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

Mortal and Venial Sin
1 John 5:16-17 NAB
(16) If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray.
(17) All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly.

No divisions or schisms
1 Corinthians 1:9-10 NAB
(9) God is faithful, and by him you were called to fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
(10) I urge you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree in what you say, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and in the same purpose.

1 Corinthians 12:22-26 NAB
(22) Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary,
(23) and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable we surround with greater honor, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety,
(24) whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it,
(25) so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another.
(26) If (one) part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy.

Jude 1:17-23 NAB
(17) But you, beloved, remember the words spoken beforehand by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ,
(18 ) for they told you, In (the) last time there will be scoffers who will live according to their own godless desires.
(19) These are the ones who cause divisions; they live on the natural plane, devoid of the Spirit.
(20) But you, beloved, build yourselves up in your most holy faith; pray in the holy Spirit.
(21) Keep yourselves in the love of God and wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.
(22) On those who waver, have mercy;
(23) save others by snatching them out of the fire; on others have mercy with fear, abhorring even the outer garment stained by the flesh.

The real presence of Christ in the Eucharist
1Co 11:21-29 Douay-Rheims Bible
(21) For every one taketh before his own supper to eat. And one indeed is hungry and another is drunk.
(22) What, have you no houses to eat and to drink in? Or despise ye the church of God and put them to shame that have not? What shall I say to you? Do I praise you? In this I praise you not.
(23) For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread,
(24) And giving thanks, broke and said: Take ye and eat: This is my body, which shall be delivered for you. This do for the commemoration of me.
(25) In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood. This do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me.
(26) For as often as you shall eat this bread and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come.
(27) Therefore, whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.
(28) But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread and drink of the chalice.
(29) For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.

Joh 6:48-58 Douay-Rheims Bible
(48) I am the bread of life.
(49) Your fathers did eat manna in the desert: and are dead.
(50) This is the bread which cometh down from heaven: that if any man eat of it, he may not die.
(51) I am the living bread which came down from heaven. (6:52) If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
(52) (6:53) The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
(53) (6:54) Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
(54) (6:55) He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
(55) (6:56) For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.
(56) (6:57) He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him.
(57) (6:58) As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me.
(58) (6:59) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.

Traditions
John 21:23-25 DRB
(23) This saying therefore went abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die. And Jesus did not say to him: He should not die; but: So I will have him to remain till I come, what is it to thee?
(24) This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things and hath written these things: and we know that his testimony is true.
(25) But there are also many other things which Jesus did which, if they were written every one, the world itself. I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.

2Th 2:15-17 Douay-Rheims Bible
(15) (2:14) Therefore, brethren, stand fast: and hold the traditions, which you have learned, whether by word or by our epistle.
(16) (2:15) Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God and our Father, who hath loved us and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope in grace,
(17) (2:16) Exhort your hearts and confirm you in every good work and word.

1Ti 3:15 DRB
(15) But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Purgatory
originally a Jewish belief
2 Maccabees 12:43-46 DRB
(43) And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection.
(44) (For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,)
(45) And because he considered that they who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them.
(46) It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

1 Corinthians 3:12-13 DRB
(12) Now, if any man build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble:
(13) Every man's work shall be manifest. For the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire. And the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is.

Revelation 21:27 DRB
(27) There shall not enter into it any thing defiled or that worketh abomination or maketh a lie: but they that are written in the book of life of the Lamb.

(continued)
Back to top Go down
Hasah

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Teachings in the Bible   Catholic Teachings in the Bible I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 am

The Trinity
Matthew 3:13-17 DRB
(13) Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan, unto John, to be baptized by him.
(14) But John stayed him, saying: I ought to be baptized by thee, and comest thou to me?
(15) And Jesus answering, said to him: Suffer it to be so now. For so it becometh us to fulfil all justice. Then he suffered him.
(16) And Jesus being baptized, forthwith came out of the water: and lo, the heavens were opened to him: and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him.
(17) And behold a voice from heaven saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

John 10:24-31 DRB
(24) The Jews therefore came round about him and said to him: How long dost thou hold our souls in suspense? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.
(25) Jesus answered them: I speak to you, and you believe not: the works that I do in the name of my Father, they give testimony of me.
(26) But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep.
(27) My sheep hear my voice. And I know them: and they follow me.
(28) And I give them life everlasting: and they shall not perish for ever. And no man shall pluck them out of my hand.
(29) That which my Father hath given me is greater than all: and no one can snatch them out of the hand of my Father.
(30) I and the Father are one.
(31) The Jews then took up stones to stone him.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created heaven, and earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters.

Genesis 1:26 DRB
(26) And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth.

John 1:1-4 DRB
(1) In the beginning was the Word: and the Word was with God: and the Word was God.
(2) The same was in the beginning with God.
(3) All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made.
(4) In him was life: and the life was the light of men.

John 14:25-26 DRB
(25) These things have I spoken to you, abiding with you.
(26) But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you.

Hebrews 12:2 DRB
(2) Looking on Jesus, the author and finisher of faith, who, having joy set before him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and now sitteth on the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Peter 4:1-6 DRB
(1) Christ therefore having suffered in the flesh, be you also armed with the same thought: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sins:
(2) That now he may live the rest of his time in the flesh, not after the desires of men but according to the will of God.
(3) For the time past is sufficient to have fulfilled the will of the Gentiles, for them who have walked in riotousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings and unlawful worshiping of idols.
(4) Wherein they think it strange that you run not with them into the same confusion of riotousness: speaking evil of you.
(5) Who shall render account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
(6) For, for this cause was the gospel preached also to the dead: That they might be judged indeed according to men, in the flesh: but may live according to God, in the Spirit.

1 John 5:6-8 DRB
(6) This is he that came by water and blood, Jesus Christ: not by water only but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit which testifieth that Christ is the truth.
(7) And there are Three who give testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. And these three are one.
(8) And there are three that give testimony on earth: the spirit and the water and the blood. And these three are one.

Matthew 28:19-20 DRB
(19) Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.
(20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

Jesus IS God
Isaiah 7:14 DRB
(14) Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son and his name shall be called Emmanuel.

John 1:47-50 DRB
(47) Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him and he saith of him: Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no guile.
(48) Nathanael saith to him: Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said to him: Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
(49) Nathanael answered him and said: Rabbi: Thou art the Son of God. Thou art the King of Israel.
(50) Jesus answered and said to him: Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, thou believest: greater things than these shalt thou see.

1 Corinthians 10:1-4 DRB
(1) For I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud: and all passed through the sea.
(2) And all in Moses were baptized, in the cloud and in the sea:
(3) And did all eat the same spiritual food:
(4) And all drank the same spiritual drink: (And they drank of the spiritual rock that followed them: and the rock was Christ.)

John 10:30 DRB
(30) I and the Father are one.

John 14:7 DRB
(7) If you had known me, you would without doubt have known my Father also: and from henceforth you shall know him. And you have seen him.

John 15:24 DRB
(24) If I had not done among them the works that no other man hath done, they would not have sin: but now they have both seen and hated both me and my Father.

Ephesians 4:13-14 DRB
(13) Until we all meet into the unity of faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the age of the fullness of Christ:
(14) That henceforth we be no more children tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the wickedness of men, by cunning craftiness by which they lie in wait to deceive.

Why pro life?
Psalms 139:13 NAB
You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb.

Psalms 139:13 DRB
(13) For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast protected me from my mother's womb.

Whore of Babylon?
Revelation 11:8 NAB
Their corpses will lie in the main street of the great city, which has the symbolic names "Sodom" and "Egypt," where indeed their Lord was crucified.
Was Jesus crucified in Rome?

Recommended Reading:
150 Reasons I'm Catholic
Deuterocanical Books in the New Testament
The Catholic Treasure Chest
Back to top Go down
rcbako

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Teachings in the Bible   Catholic Teachings in the Bible I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 6:14 am

I am not a Catholic by birth, but I believe the same teachings. I know that when Jesus came to earth He organized only one church which He Himself is the chief corner stone. He has only one doctrine and gospel. He taught His disciples about the Holy Trinity.

by:
crosses
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catholic Teachings in the Bible   Catholic Teachings in the Bible I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Catholic Teachings in the Bible
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sacred Scripture Anew :: General :: The Gospels-
Jump to: